Discovery Park to Ballard Locks Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"Two of Seattle’s most popular scenic spots are legacies from the U.S. Army. The former Fort Lawton in northwest Magnolia, which Seattle gave the Army in 1900 and the Army returned to the city in 1972, is now Discovery Park. The city’s biggest park encompasses 534 acres, mostly reclaimed for nature and nature-loving humans. It has walking trails ranging from flat to steep and a restored lighthouse guarding a wide beachfront.
Just north of Discovery, the Hiram M. Chittenden (also known as Ballard) Locks, built in 1916 and managed by the Army Corps of Engineers, is the gateway between Lakes Union and Washington. A key passageway for both pleasure and commercial boats (and for our precious salmon), it also serves as a water-level footbridge across the Lake Washington Ship Canal, with finely landscaped grounds at both ends."