Port Townsend to Point Wilson Professional Review and Guide
"Explorer Captain George Vancouver noted that the current location of Port Townsend, located on the northern tip of Quimper Peninsula, had a “fine deep harbor.” Like many towns in the Puget Sound area, “PT,” as locals call it, got its start in the 1850s. By the 1880s, it was the hub for commerce in the region. In 1887, Tacoma was picked for the northwest link to the transcontinental line of the Union Pacific railroad. Commerce began to wane in PT and by the 1893 depression, the town’s population went from 7000 to 2000 nearly overnight. In 1898, the US government chose PT to be part of the “Triangle of Fire,” a ring of coastal defense forts aimed at keeping invading ships at bay.
Fort Worden’s guns aimed across the Strait of Juan de Fuca for years until they were considered obsolete by the airplane. In the 1970s, PT’s property values were cheap, which attracted artists of all kinds who in turn built a strong creative community. Today Fort Worden’s “Centrum” organization uses the former fort’s grounds to bring world class cultural events to the area, including a fiddling festival, a jazz and blues festival, a much renowned film festival, and other events."