"Camp Roosevelt opened in 1933 as America’s first Civilian Conservation Corps camp. Living in tents and earning $30 a week, unemployed men built the roads, campgrounds, picnic shelters, and fire towers we still use today. Their handiwork included a limestone block tower and shelter on Kennedy Peak.
Its squat, low-rising design often surprises hikers expecting a tall lookout, but it’s still high enough to give commanding views off the 2,600-foot Kennedy Peak. Eastward lies Page Valley and, to the west, Shenandoah Valley, both outlined with patchwork farms, towns, and forests."