Staunton River State Park Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"Staunton River State Park is located on a peninsula upstream from Occoneechee State Park at the narrow end of Buggs Island Lake, also known as the John H. Kerr Reservoir. The park and adjacent river are named for pre–Revolutionary War commander Captain Henry Staunton, whose contingent of soldiers kept early settlers safe from American Indian attacks. This section of the Dan River became known as Captain Dan’s River and later the Staunton River.
It became an important route for transporting tobacco from the large plantations that were built in this southernmost section of Virginia. Unfortunately, most were destroyed during the Civil War. This 1,597-acre park was one of the original six in Virginia’s fledgling state park system. It opened in 1936, with many of the buildings constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1933 to 1935. Kerr Dam’s opening in 1952 created the 48,000-acre Buggs Island Lake."