Sheldon Lake State Park: Nature Trail Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"This 2,800-acre urban state park was originally established as Sheldon Reservoir in 1941 by the federal government. At that time Carpenter’s Bayou was dammed to impound water for war-critical industries in the area. After the war ended, the land was purchased by the state of Texas as one of the first wildlife-management areas in the state. In 1954, half of the area of the reservoir was drained to open a fish hatchery with 28 ponds.
The fish hatchery closed in 1975 and was made a state park in 1984. In 2005, the park was renovated using “green building” and “alternative energy” for all of its buildings and structures. Geothermal heating and cooling, wind turbines, and solar panels are used to power the park. Most materials used in the buildings are from torn-down buildings in Houston or surplus oilfield pipe."