Kleb Woods Nature Preserve Trails Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"Kleb Woods was part of a family farm owned by one of the original German descendants to the area in 1840. Conrad Kleb’s son Edward ran the farm between 1904 and 1933 on a total of 132 acres, but his son Elmer stopped farming and let the land go back to its natural state.
Elmer Kleb planted trees to encourage the birds and animals to stay on the land, but due to his inability to pay his taxes, he accrued a large tax bill and was taken to court. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and The Trust for Public Lands worked with County Commissioner Steve Radack to buy the land and turn it into a nature preserve, allowing Elmer to live here until his death in 1999 at age 90. The original section of the nature preserve opened in 1994 and included picnic areas, restrooms, paved parking, a hiking trail, and campsites."