Tomball, Montgomery, Conroe, The Woodlands, and Spring Professional Review and Guide
"First up is the farming community of Tomball, named for early-twentieth-century congressman Thomas H. Ball. On Main Street find numerous antiques stores in the heart of town. An Indian trading post later settled in 1837 by Stephen F. Austin’s fourth (and last) colony, Montgomery prospered for half a century as a regional center for mercantile activity. At present it is a tiny village with a 6-block collection of homes. Home tours in April and December give peeks behind some of those doors. In addition to exploring Montgomery’s ever-growing number of antiques shops, take time to wander the graveyard at the old Methodist Church. In 1880 the Central and Montgomery Railroad had a line running from Navasota to Montgomery.
With the extension of the track in 1885 to a small sawmill run by Isaac Conroe some 15 miles to the east, the town of Conroe came into being. Within five years Conroe was thriving with 300 citizens and aced Montgomery out of the county seat honor by some sixty-two votes. Always the center of a prosperous lumber industry, it hit the financial big time with George Strake’s discovery of oil southeast of town in 1931. Conroe today needs no introduction to Houstonians, as it is a prosperous business and bedroom satellite 39 miles north."