SummaryTrail GuideTopo MapReviewsPhotosGPS
Lone Rock Loop Professional Review and Guide
"The trail circles the largest of the four lakes at Grundy Lakes State Park and loops by remains of the Lone Rock Mine Coke Ovens built in 1883. Grundy Lake and Lone Rock Lake were here during the early coal-mining days. The CCC stabilized these lakes and created two smaller ones in the 1930s. Herman Baggenstoss, one of the sons of the bakery family, was with the U.S. Forest Service at the time and served as project supervisor. Later, as Grundy County Conservation Board chair, he was one of the main forces behind the establishment of the SCRA; a plaque honoring him is mounted on the wall at the entrance to the SCRA Visitor Center. Earthen banks around the lake contain the coke ovens. For many years in the late 1800s, convicts leased from the state worked these coke ovens and the nearby Lone Rock coal mines; 130 brick coke ovens at this site were used to heat coal and transform it into coke, which can be used as a fuel in industrial processes because it burns hotter than coal."
--Russ Manning, 40 Hikes In Tennessee's South Cumberland (The Mountaineers Books).
Sign in/up to upload photos.