Schenley Park is Pittsburgh’s flagship park and should not be missed. It has a pleasant environment, historical value, and aesthetics that reflect its roots and the care devoted to it through time. In addition to hiking, the park offers biking and running on most trails, and facilities and fields for tennis, soccer, baseball, roller hockey, and ice skating; there is also a golf course (and golf programs for kids) and a disc golf course. For nostalgia, visit the Neil Log House, one of the last three existing 18th-century buildings in Pittsburgh.
Mount Airy Tract became the object of desire between developers and Edward Bigelow, director of Pittsburgh’s Department of Public Works in 1889. Bigelow felt strongly about the preservation of the land for recreation and athletics. When he heard developers were sending lawyers to London to pursue its purchase from Mary Schenley (originally Mary Elizabeth Croghan of Pittsburgh), he sent his own via train and steamer to reach her first (beating the others by two days). Schenley agreed to donate 300 acres of land, with the option to purchase 120 more if the park were named after her and never sold. The city agreed and purchased the remaining property immediately.
© Donna L. Ruff/Menasha Ridge Press. All Rights Reserved.