Downtown Pittsburgh Historic Walk Professional Review and Guide
"This is a historic tour of some of Pittsburgh’s most beautiful and interesting landmarks. There is far too much on this walk to describe in this space, so add more stops and sightseeing as you wish, and enjoy the city’s heritage. From the parking garage, turn right, walk to and cross Stanwix Street, and then turn left and cross the Boulevard of the Allies. Continue along Stanwix, pass Third Avenue and St. Mary’s Church (A), and turn right onto Fourth Avenue.
The smokedglass and steel-framed castlelike building to the right is part of PPG Place. It was built by PPG Industries (formerly Pittsburgh Plate and Glass, founded in 1883; the present name was adopted in 1968), the first commercially successful U.S. plate and glass maker. At the end of this part of the building complex, arrive at its courtyard (B), where there are multiple vertical fountains surrounding a cement monolith showing the site dedication in 1984. The courtyard usually contains other art in the form of sculptures and, during the Three Rivers Arts Festival, large, interactive art pieces. In winter, the lobbies contain beautiful displays of international versions of St. Nicholas, as well as Christmas trees."