SummaryTrail GuideTopo MapReviewsPhotosGPS
Belknap Hot Springs Resort Professional Review and Guide
"A well-known commercial resort on the banks of the McKenzie River. Belknap Hot Springs has been a popular destination resort for Oregonians for more than 125 years. Since the 1870s the scalding hot springs on the north bank of the McKenzie have been piped across the river to a variety of bathhouses, soaking tubs, and the current two warm-water swimming pools. Day visitors can purchase an hourly or all-day pass to soak in the scenic lower pool."
--Jeff Birkby, Touring Hot Springs Washington and Oregon (Falcon Guides).
Cabin 7. Dirty floors and built up grime by all the baseboards. Carpets were dirty, stained and crusty in spots. Spider webs in the corners of every room, a used Kleenex on the floor and all the window sills had dozens of dead bugs. Cupboards were streaked with grime in both the kitchen and the bathrooms. Dishes were put away dirty, some were so thick with grease you could see the puddle of white grease in the bottom of the bowl. Dirty bathroom tubs. Many of the beds sagged badly in the middle. The roll-out beds’ sheets had crumbs and what appeared to be rat droppings in one of them. There was a lot of trash around the fire pit area outside as well. Cracked chairs. Poorly equipped kitchen. Tiny pans, a dirty, worn out sponge. The coffee maker was missing as well, but the front desk gave us one when we inquired about it.
It was a slow process realizing how filthy the place really was. As we found new dirty things we complained to the front desk. A weak effort was made to fix things. I also overheard the cleaning woman telling the front desk receptionist that she had mopped our cabin. We couldn't tell. Overall, the attitude of the front desk made us feel like they thought we were overly picky and it was an imposition to them that we found the condition of the cabin so deplorable.
The first night we also ran into electrical problems. we plugged in a lamp upstairs and it flashed blue, made a popping sound and went out followed by an electrical sizzle sound zipping through the walls that went all the way downstairs to the breaker box. We could smell that telltale electrical burn smell in the air. When reported, the front desk seemed unconcerned, numb and unresponsive.
The next day, after weighing options of relocating 14 people we decided to stick it out and try to enjoy our family time in spite of the squalor. It was akin to staying in a frat house at $400 a night. I wrote a complaint to management and have yet to hear any response. They don't care.
Sign in/up to upload photos.