Sally Buffalo Park Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"Sally Buffalo? The unusual name of this park traces its roots to a former landowner and his wife. A Revolutionary War soldier from Pennsylvania, John McFadden, settled here, bringing with him a son named Samuel Buffalo McFadden. He married a woman named Sally and together they built a grist mill powered by the stream here. The mill and that water took the name of Sally Buffalo and it stuck. The mill ultimately went out of business, and that set in motion an interesting industrial history for this site. A century later, in 1953, Hanna Coal Co. built the first lake and park for employees. A dozen years later it was opened to the public. Five years after that new owner Consol Energy Co. took over."