Cedar Point County Park Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"Extending into Gardiners Bay from the South Fork of Long Island, Cedar Point County Park is best known for its historic Cedar Point Light on its easternmost edge. Built in 1839 on what was originally a small island, the little lighthouse guided whaling ships in and out of Sag Harbor until it was finally decommissioned in 1934. Four years later, a hurricane turned Cedar Island into the peninsula that remains today. Originally a wooden structure, the 35-foot-tall tower with a visibility range of 12.5 nautical miles was renovated in 1868 using granite blocks to strengthen the beacon. Campsites are arranged around a series of narrow dirt roads with names like Mallard Drive and Partridge Path. Breezy, shaded by stately oaks and cedars, and generally flat, the mixed-use lots are close together but don’t feel too crowded. Sites 30–45 come with the shortest walk to the shower house and the wellstocked camp store. Alcohol is not permitted at the Cedar Point campground but leashed dogs are allowed. Close to the entrance on Cedar Point Road, a 1.5-mile self-guided nature trail leads to a bluff on Gardiner’s Bay with views of Gardiners Island, Shelter Island, and Plum Island. Another trail runs along the park’s north shore, and a third leads from the group camping area to Alewife Pond."