Kings Park Loop Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"The Kings Park Psychiatric Center, built in 1885, was founded on the then novel idea that overcrowded, gloomy hospitals were not conducive to recovery. The State of New York operated this hospital as an agrarian farm colony, where patients fed livestock and grew produce.
The hamlet was named for the hospital, which served as the primary employer and economic-driver for the region. Following cutbacks in mental health care spending and advances in pharmacology, the center closed in 1996 after 111 years of continuous operation. Today, most of the hospital is part of the sprawling Nissequogue River State Park, a 521-acre park overlooking the river and forming the eastern border of Kings Park. To the north, the hamlet is bordered by an environmentally protected stretch of Long Island Sound."