Whitestone and Malba Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"The Throgs Neck and Whitestone Bridges bracket the neighborhood of Whitestone, located on land jutting into the East River. Dutch colonists sailing into the area supposedly spotted limestone boulders on the shore, hence its name. They paid the Matinecoc tribe one ax for every 50 acres of land per a written agreement of 1684 (whose language and terms were no doubt incomprehensible to the natives). Two defining events happened in the mid-19th century: John D. Locke, the proprietor of a metalware factory, relocated his operation from Brooklyn to Whitestone—where it would employ 300 people at its peak—and the Long Island Rail Road launched service at Whitestone with a station near the village center. The LIRR later added two more stops in Whitestone, one close to the water and another to serve a new development to the west called Malba, making the neighborhood convenient for commuters as well as those out for a day at the beach. All of Whitestone’s railroad service was terminated in 1932, and from then on, it developed as a quiet, semi-suburban neighborhood."