Klondike Park Campground Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"Klondike Park opened in 2004 on the site of the old Klondike Quarry. The quarry first opened in 1898, when the Tavern Rock Sand Company began crushing the park’s sandstone to extract silica for making glass. After the quarry closed in 1983, nothing was done with the land for nearly 20 years, allowing this 250-acre work-scarred landscape to return to its natural beauty.
Now covered with hardwoods, cedars, a few pines, and lots of wildflowers and shrubs, the old quarry is a peaceful natural setting. An exquisite pool reflects the quarry bluffs in the center of the park, and another shallow pond in the park’s north end is an attractive marsh and wetland that’s excellent for bird-watching and wildflower viewing. Five miles of trails meander through the park, and one of them climbs to vistas of the Missouri River valley. Klondike’s trail system also connects to the 220-mile-long Katy Trail State Park, the longest Rails-to-Trails conversion in the country."