"Established in 1938, Rockwoods Reservation consists of 1,880 acres of dense forests, streams, springs, caves, prairie grass, and limestone deposits. Of the several trails in the park, all are worthwhile, but the Lime Kiln Trail offers a more challenging route through some of the best scenery in the area and makes a fantastic day trip just minutes from St. Louis. The Glencoe Lime and Cement Company was established by the Goetz and Cobb firm in 1880 and was run by Charles W. S. Cobb starting in 1881. The Cobbs came to St. Louis from Maine looking to continue their lucrative lime businesses out west.
At the height of its manufacturing, the Glencoe Lime and Cement Company was one of the largest of its type in the state of Missouri. After many successful years the business finally went bankrupt in 1938, and the land on which the facilities were set was some of the first to be designated as property of the Missouri Conservation Commission. Most of the old structures were removed to make way for hiking trails, exhibits, and a new education center. One of the few structures left is the old limekiln found on the Lime Kiln Trail." Read more