Wolfe's Neck Woods State Park Professional Review and Guide
"This loop hike features pleasant views of the Harraseeket River and a string of Casco Bay islands.
Wolfe’s Neck Woods State Park spans the breadth of the Wolfe’s Neck Peninsula from the Harraseeket River in the east to Casco Bay in the west, encompassing 245 acres of mixed woods, rocky ocean shoreline, mudflats, and salt marshes. The park is named for Henry and Rachel Woolfe, who in 1733 became the first Europeans to permanently settle the land here. Early settlers like the Woolfes cleared the land for farming and pasturing, but over the centuries, the woods have returned. The now heavily forested land was gifted to the state in 1969 by Eleanor and Lawrence M. C. Smith of Freeport, and in 1972, the park was opened to the public. A network of eight trails provide about 4 miles of walking opportunities. Ten interpretive signs describe the special natural features to enjoy."