Little Italy & Jonestown/Old Town Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"Jonestown is in some respects where Baltimore began. The Englishman David Jones built his house on the banks of a stream that would later take his name, the Jones Falls, in 1661. Jones’s house rested on the east side of the falls. By 1729, the surrounding area was bustling and local inhabitants lobbied the colonial legislature for a charter. The wealthy Carrolls donated 60 acres, and Baltimore City received its charter in 1729, named for Cecil Calvert, the 2nd Lord Baltimore and the founder of the Colony of Maryland. The earliest city planners began laying out Baltimore on the west side of Jones’s waterway. By 1732, they began laying out the streets in Jonestown, on the east side. A bridge along Gay Street linked the two, and Jonestown then became known as Old Town. Though certainly quite different in appearance today, Jonestown still exists and the neighborhood still contains some of Baltimore’s oldest man-made structures. This walk has plenty of historical riches, with no fewer than eight sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places. But before all that history, take a walk around the gustatory and olfactory enchantment of adjacent Little Italy, long home to one of the best collections of culinary delights anywhere on the East Coast."