New Echota Cherokee Capital Professional Review and Guide
"When most people imagine a Native American village, they don’t picture Colonialstyle buildings or a courthouse, but the New Echota Cherokee Capital, established in 1825, looked much like a European farm settlement. This walk through the reconstructed village includes stops at farmstead houses, a town square, a tavern, and even a print shop.
According to an interpretive pamphlet for the site, in 1835 more than 90 percent of the Cherokees in the area “lived in small cabins on farms and tilled an average of eleven acres of land” per household. There were about 50 residents in the settlement, though the capital drew many visitors during annual tribal council meetings. In the early 1800s, the demand for land in Georgia increased greatly, and the U.S. government forced the Cherokee to leave the land in the 1830s."