A National Historic Site, this fourteen-acre park and its six-mound complex was one of the major ceremonial centers on Florida’s west coast for 1,600 years, from 200 B.C. to A.D. 1400. It was also one of the longest continually occupied sites in Florida; evidence traces human influence here back as far as 10,000 years.
Much of the present area is a large cemetery, with an estimated 1,100 to 1,600 burials. The burials come from two distinct cultural periods, the earliest around 250 B.C., and others prior to A.D. 1300. The older burials have the more elaborate artifacts, including copper objects, mica, lead, and crystals received by trade with faroff peoples.
© 2009 M. Timothy O'Keefe/Falcon Guides. All Rights Reserved.