Winter Park, FL
Pathfinder | 112 pts
This is a pretty drive through the lower altitude Sierras. We went with a lower drive because we didn't want to get challenged by snow, but it was obvious we could have gone for a much higher trail. Most of the drive was fairly benign with only the western approach to the Clavey River Bridge getting to the tougher side of easy driving. With the exception of a couple side trips, 4WD was not required, though probably would be in wet conditions. A high clearance vehicle is required for the bridge approach. We were unable to complete the full trail as a large tree blocked the road just past the Corral Creek crossing. Picked up a few new scratches in the clear-coat - brush encroaches in numerous places.
What I liked:
- Very remote. After getting onto the trail proper we saw no other people until we were on paved forest roads. For a 30+ mile trail, that's nice.
- The Clavey is a beautiful, fast-running river.
- Nice place to stop at the bridge.
What I didn't like:
- Very limited other places to stop and take in the scenery. Most vistas were from relatively narrow shelf portions of the trail with no nice place to get out.
- For being rated 9 out of 10 for scenery I was a bit disappointed. No doubt some of the views of the Clavey and some of the valleys are grand, but those are few.
- Too much easy driving, few challenges.
All in all, I enjoyed the trail as the first of the year. Would I do it again? I don't know if there is enough to bring me back.