South Pasture Trail, Rush Ranch Professional Review and Guide
"Suisun Marsh covers 10 square miles of tidal marsh. Historic Rush Ranch sits on 1.6 square miles of that land. For hundreds of years, the Patwin Indians lived in small seasonal villages on the land that is now Rush Ranch. They lived in huts made from tules gathered from the marsh. The evidence of their presence remains in rock formations, where grinding holes formed from processing seeds, dried fish and dried meat, still remain. In 1864, Hiram and Sarah Rush acquired the land and raised sheep, cattle, and horses. Rush Ranch was acquired for public access in 1988 and still operates as a working cattle and sheep ranch. The ranch has a visitor center, blacksmith shop, a restored 100-yearold barn, historical ranching equipment, and picnic areas."