DirectionsTrail GuideTopo MapReviewsPhotosGPS
Historic Oat Hill Mine Road Professional Review and Guide
"The Historic Oat Hill Mine Road is an old mining road between the town of Calistoga and Pope Valley. The remote county-built road, completed in 1893, was used by freight wagons hauling quicksilver from the mines to the railroad in Calistoga. Grooves from the wagon wheels are still visible in the rockbed. This hiking-biking trail starts from Highway 29 in Calistoga and leads northward to the old Karl Holm homestead in a shaded oak and bay laurel forest. At the 160-acre homestead are remnants of two stone houses and a small apple orchard. The rocky, rutted road to the homesteaad (closed to vehicles in 1979) rigorously climbs from 400 feet to 2,300 feet. The scenic, backcountry road offers great views of the Palisades and upper Napa Valley. The trail is open to bicyclists to Holm’s Place (but not beyond). Bring an ample supply of drinking water. This hike and the previous hike (Hike 53) both lead to Holm’s Place. This hike starts from the south and heads north to the homestead. Hike 53 starts in the north and leads south. The next hike (Hike 55) is a 10.6-mile one-way shuttle hike of the entire trail. The shuttle hike begins at the north trailhead and travels south, descending along three connected trails—the Table Rock Trail, the Palisades Trail, and the Historic Oat Hill Mine Road."
--Robert Stone, Day Hikes Around Sonoma County (Day Hike Books).
Sign in/up to upload photos.