Lake Chehaw is a 1,400-acre Georgia Power hydropower development on the Flint River. Impounded in 1919 by damming the Flint River, Lake Chehaw went by the name of Lake Worth for many years. A good portion of the lake lies within the City of Albany, so as one might expect, houses line the shoreline and summer boat traffic is heavy. A very riverine-type impoundment, Lake Chehaw stretches out about 10 miles east to west and is a shallow lake full of islands and sloughs. To provide flood storage, the lake is drawn down almost 10 feet every winter in preparation of spring rains.
Access can be difficult during these times, but the fishing is usually good since the low water concentrates the fish. Although historically known as an average fishing lake at best, the flood of 1994 and subsequent drawdowns for dam repair turned an aged, tired reservoir into a nearly new one. Besides the Flint River, Kinchafoonee and Muckalee Creeks on the west side of the lake are the two other major tributaries. The area of the lake where these two creeks come together is known as “Muckafoonee” and traditionally has produced the biggest bass. Key species: hybrid striped bass, largemouth bass, channel catfish, flathead catfish.
© Kevin Dallmier/Falcon Guides. All Rights Reserved.