Vendovi Island was named in 1841 by Commander Wilkes for an imprisoned Fijian chief who killed and cannibalized a whaling crew. It was once one of the largest privately owned undeveloped islands in the San Juans. Thanks to the San Juan Preservation Trust’s purchase of the island in 2012, for half of its appraised value, Vendovi will remain undeveloped— and open to the public.
Hike across the island through lush woods to a grassy bluff that bursts with dazzling wild?ower blossoms. Walk along a midden beach that sparkles in the evening light. And watch pigeon guillemots nesting in North Cove. Vendovi is a magical and ecologically important island.
© 2014 Craig Romano/The Mountaineers Books. All Rights Reserved.