In summer, the Lake Almanor Recreation Trail is a wide, inviting paved path that meanders along the scenic western shore of this lake, which has 55 miles of shoreline and is 13 miles long and 6 miles wide.
The lake was created in 1914 to fuel a hydroelectric plant operated by the Great Western Power Company; its name is a combination of Alice, Martha, and Elinore, the daughters of the company’s vice president. Canyon Dam, on the lakeshore, was built in 1927 to harness the North Fork FeatherRiver.
© Thom Gabrukiewicz/The Mountaineers Books. All Rights Reserved.