College Hill, Cincinnati’s fourth most populous neighborhood, is a welcoming home to people of all ages, races, and classes. Located 6 miles north of downtown, this integrated residential
neighborhood is filled with 19th-century cottage-style homes and apartments dating from the 1920s, and it retains a semirural village atmosphere on the city’s northern edge.
Originally a wealthy suburb called Pleasant Hill, it was renamed College Hill because of the two colleges, Farmers’ College and Ohio Female College, that were established here in the mid-19th century. The most notable early settler was William Cary, who bought 491 acres in 1813 and became known as the founding father of College Hill. College Hill was incorporated as a village in 1866 and annexed into the city of Cincinnati in stages between 1911 and 1923. It features several buildings on the National Register of Historic Places, protected forests on its southern edges, tree-lined and gas-lit streets, and a resurgent business district along Hamilton Avenue.
© 2015 Danny Korman and Katie Meyer/Wilderness Press. All Rights Reserved.