Poisonous Mushroom Field Guide

Poisonous Mushroom Field GuideMushrooms are great sources of protein and rich in vitamins and nutrients, as well as being delicious and easy to pluck from the ground. The fact is that most of the mushrooms you will come across as you camp are perfectly fine to eat. The problem is that it can be difficult to determine which mushrooms are edible and which mushrooms are poisonous. It is important to identify those mushrooms that can cause the most harm.

Fly Amanita (pictured above)

The fly amanita is recognizable because of its wide cap that can be colored red to yellow. The scales of this poisonous mushroom are white It also has a white stalk, although the stalk can be brownish. This mushroom is commonly found in woods and meadows growing in a circular fashion. The effects of eating this mushroom are mainly related to delirium. Symptoms include manic behavior leading to possible feelings of euphoria. A person who ate this mushroom may appear to a bystander to be acting totally insane. Some people who ingest this mushroom may eventually experience painfully explosive bouts of diarrhea. Death from eating this mushroom is rare.

Fatal Amanita

Another type of amanita is so poisonous that eating just one could be fatal. This amanita is recognizable as a result of its reddish bulb with white spots. This mushroom can be found throughout open woods across the United States. The one region where this mushroom is not typically a problem is along the coast of the Pacific Ocean. Every bit of this mushroom is poisonous, and none of it should be consumed. Most human deaths that result from eating a poisonous mushroom are attributable to this particular variety.

False Morel

False Morel

The false morel looks like a small brain. It is often confused with the edible type known as real morel. The easiest way to know whether you have picked up a real or false morel is to open it up. A real morel is hollow on the inside, while a false morel has either a solid or lumpy mass inside. The actual effects of eating a false morel can vary from just becoming nauseous to more serious effects such as liver failure.

Article Written By Timothy Sexton

Timothy Sexton is an award-winning author who started writing in 1994. He has written on topics ranging from politics and golf to nutrition and travel, and his work appears online for Zappos.com, Disaboom and MOJO, among others. He has also done work for "Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy." He holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of West Florida.

Don't Miss a Thing!

All our latest outdoor content delivered to your inbox once a week.

FREE UPDATES

Subscribe

We promise to keep your email address safe and secure.