Hitting the trail with your hound is one of the best ways to enjoy the outdoors. When your dog is running loose in the wilderness, make sure to keep an eye on the flowers she is sniffing. There are more flowers poisonous to dogs than you might think. Symptoms can include stomach pain, skin or mouth irritation, trembling, seizing and in some cases, death. Armed with some knowledge about which flowers to avoid, you and your canine are sure to have a safe time outside.
Most flowers that irritate dogs will give them an upset stomach. Symptoms can include vomiting, coughing, lethargy and a stomach area sensitive to touch. Some of the most common flowers that will upset your dog's stomach include: Amaryllis, Easter Lily and Morning Glory.
All of these flowers have bright, showy flowers, but will make your pooch very uncomfortable if consumed. The Amaryllis is especially poisonous and can lead to advanced digestive problems and even death.
Seizure is one of the most identifiable symptoms that indicates your dog has eaten a poisonous flower. A seizure can him to tremble, twitch and fall over. You may also notice discharge from the eyes and nose, as well as loss of bladder control. Common flowers that can cause seizure are Narcissus, Peony and Calla Lily.
The Calla Lily is particularly poisonous and will cause your canine to experience an irritated mouth, difficulty breathing and in many cases, death. If your dog is experiencing seizures from consuming these or any other flowers or plants, contact your veterinarian immediately.
It is hard to imagine that a pretty little flower can cause so much damage, but several varieties of flowers can send your dog into cardiac arrest. These dangerous flowers include the Foxglove and the Daffodil. Both of these flowers are very toxic to dogs. In addition to heart failure, they can cause acute stomach pain, tremors and/or seizures and death. If you suspect your dog has ingested Foxglove or Daffodil, seek medical attention immediately.