Ann Arbor Military Monuments

Ann Arbor Military Monuments
The city of Ann Arbor, Michigan, which was founded in 1824, is located approximately 25 miles west of Detroit. This small city thrives as a center of education and business. Ann Arbor carries an anti-military reputation due to its connection with the Students for a Democratic Society, who held their first organizational meeting there in 1960. However, the city has memorialized the heroic efforts of its veterans through the erection of several notable military monuments, many of which are maintained in Ann Arbor's beautiful cemeteries and can be explored on foot.
 

Washtenaw County War Memorial

The Washtenaw County War Memorial is a statue of a Civil War soldier atop an obelisk. It commemorates the military service of soldiers and sailors for both the Civil War and the Spanish-American War. This monument was originally erected in 1914 on the lawn of the county courthouse, but it was moved to Ann Arbor's Forest Hill Cemetery when the new courthouse was built.

Forest Hill Cemetery
415 Observatory Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 663-5018
foresthillcemeteryaa.org

 
 

5th Ward Soldiers Marker

In 1874, Ann Arbor's Ladies' Decoration Society dedicated this monument to the 5th Ward Soldiers who fought with the Union Army in the Civil War. The monument includes a pyramid of cannon balls and an eagle sitting on a pedestal. The current inscription reads, "In memory of all veterans who served our country in time of war." The original monument contained a short poem and the names of 40 soldiers who served in the 5th Ward.

Fairview Cemetery
1401 Wright Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
(734) 994-2768

Washtenaw County Courthouse Memorial

A large plaque and relief hanging inside the courthouse names the soldiers from Washtenaw County who served and died in the major military conflicts of the 20th Century: 65 in World War I, 188 in World War II, 30 in the Korean War and 59 in Vietnam. The courthouse is open on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Washtenaw County Courthouse
200 N Main St
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
ewashtenaw.org

The Four Chaplain's Monument

The Four Chaplain's Monument, which was dedicated on Memorial Day in 1954, is a relief sculpture that depicts four military chaplains of different faiths who sacrificed their lives during World War II. These men--John Washington, Alexander Goode, Clark V. Poling and George L. Fox--went down with a transport ship, the Dorchester, after giving away their life vests. The central image of the relief is the four chaplains looking out from a ship's railing. To the left of the central image are four military insignias. Two crosses flanking a Star of David and a tablet signifying the Ten Commandments are to the right of the central image.

Arbor Crest Memorial Park
2521 Glazier Way
Ann Arbor, Michigan
arborcrestmemorial.com

The University of Michigan: The American Eagle

This sculpture of an eagle was created by Michigan artist Marshall Fredericks in 1950. It stands in the University of Michigan's football stadium. Former Coach Fielding Yost and the Intercollegiate Athletic Board "wished for the stadium to be designated as a memorial to all University men and women who had sacrificed their lives for their country." This commemoration is inscribed on the stone upon which the eagle stands.

Michigan Stadium
1201 S. Main St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
umich.edu/stadium

 

Article Written By Kjersten MacKensie

Kjersten MacKensie is new to Demand Studios. She is an experienced writer with a bachelor's degree in English from North Park University in Chicago and post-graduate work in education at Loyola University Chicago. In addition to writing, MacKensie is a certified and practicing teacher.

Never Miss a Single Post

All our latest outdoor content delivered to your inbox once a week.

FREE UPDATES

Subscribe

We promise to keep your email address safe and secure.