British Architectural Monuments in India

British Architectural Monuments in India
From the mid-1700s through 1948, the British occupied and controlled India. During its years in India, Britain had a profound influence on Indian architecture. Britain was forced to release its grip on India years ago, but the mark the nation made on the country's architecture remains. Many of the buildings remain as monuments.

Gateway of India

The Gateway, designed by George Wittet, was built to commemorate a royal visit by King George V and Queen Mary in 1911. Construction began in 1911 and was not finished until 1924. In December of 1924, the Gateway was opened to the public by Viceroy, Earl of Reading. In 1948, the last regiment of British troops to occupy India exited through the Gateway, providing a potent symbol for the end of Indian's colonization.

Parliament House

The Parliament House of Delhi is a circular structure designed by Herbert Baker. This monumental structure has a long corridor with 247 pillars. The building is open to the public and visitors can observe sessions of parliament. However, visitors must walk, hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw because no buses are allowed.

Rashtrapati Bhavan

Rashtrapati Bhavan, the residence of the president of India, is recognized as the premier British monument in India. The palace in New Delhi has earned a place or rank alongside the Indian monuments of the Taj Mahal and Qutub Minar. The domed hall contains beautiful colored marble, as well as the viceroy's throne. Buses are not allowed at this monument so visitors must walk or hire a ride.

The Prince Of Wales Museum

Designed by George Wittet, construction on the Prince of Wales Museum began in 1905 when the Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone. The building was finished in 1905 and it served as a military hospital during World War I. With domed copulas, numerous archways, open verandas and exhibits of priceless art works this monument is a thing of beauty.

Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus

Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in Mumbai is also known as Victoria Terminus Station. The building was designed by F. W. Stevens, a British architect. Construction began in 1878 and lasted for 10 years. It has a stone dome, turrets, pointed arches, and an unusual ground pattern common in traditional Indian structures. These items were blended with Gothic influences based on Medieval Italian structures. This blended style of architecture is particular to Bombay.

Never Miss a Single Post

All our latest outdoor content delivered to your inbox once a week.

FREE UPDATES

Subscribe

We promise to keep your email address safe and secure.