How to Recover a Lost Passport

How to Recover a Lost Passport
Trekking the Himalayas might well prove to be less difficult than recovering a lost or stolen passport. Adventure travelers are well advised to take precautionary measures to prevent the loss of this important government document. Fortunately, there are some simple things you can do that will help you in the event that you do lose your passport. With an emergency plan in place before you set out on your great adventure, you will be less likely to panic if the situation arises.


Difficulty: Moderate

Things You’ll Need:
  • Photocopies of passport Photocopies of I.D. Travel contact information
  • Photocopies of passport
  • Photocopies of I.D.
  • Travel contact information
Step 1
Before you begin your travels, record your passport number as well as the date and place of issuance, and keep it with you during your travels. Make a photocopy of your passport and put it in your checked luggage before you depart.
Step 2
Place a piece of paper inside your passport with your home and travel addresses and pertinent contact information. In the event that your lost passport is actually found, it can more easily be returned to you during your trip.
Step 3
Retrace your steps if you discover that your passport is missing. Before panicking, you may find out that you simply placed it in another pocket of your purse or luggage, or that you absentmindedly stuffed it your coat pocket.
Step 4
Report your lost or misplaced passport to local police authorities in the country you are visiting, and to the U.S. embassy or consulate. Check in periodically with the above authorities to make sure your situation is still on their radar.
Step 5
Report your passport lost or stolen by calling the U.S. Department of State at (877) 487-2778 or by mailing Form DS-64 (Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport) to: U.S. Department of State Passport Services, Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section, 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036. (To obtain Form DS-64, visit your nearest Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency, or download a printable form from Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it is invalidated. If you recover your passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, you must mail it to the above address. Once submitted, the canceled passport can be returned to you upon request, or it will be destroyed.
Step 6
Speak to the consular section at the nearest U.S Embassy if you have lost your passport while overseas. In order to continue your travels, you must complete a new passport application. Your previously photocopied passport information will serve you well in this instance. You might then be issued a temporary passport for return to the United States, or a duty officer will alert U.S. Customs and Immigration about your situation and impending return.

Tips & Warnings

Contact your credit card company as a precaution to make sure your passport is not being used for identity theft.

Article Written By Karen Sprinkles

Karen Sprinkles has been a freelance writer since 1988. She's currently the managing editor of a luxury home magazine and has written for regional newspapers and magazines. Sprinkles received the Award of Excellence from the Hawaii Book Publishers Association for "The Hawaii Home Book," which reached No. 1 on the Hawaii bestsellers list. She earned a bachelor's degree in English from the University of California.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.