How to Renew a Lost Passport

How to Renew a Lost Passport
Though losing a passport can be a worrisome event, especially if it happens overseas, the process to replace a lost passport is a fairly straightforward affair. Usually, all it takes is filling out some paperwork and sending it to a passport acceptance facility or regional passport agency.


Difficulty: Moderate

Step 1
Get in touch with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible if you lose your passport while abroad. They will lead you through the process of reporting your lost passport and obtaining a replacement.
Step 2
Call the State Department's lost or stolen passport hotline if you're in the United States at (877) 487-2778.
Step 3
Use a black ink pen to fill out Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport, and Form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport (see Resources).
Step 4
Bring your completed forms to a passport acceptance facility or regional passport agency (see Resources).

Tips & Warnings

In the future, keep a photocopy of the first page of your passport in a separate location from where you keep your passport. This will be helpful when obtaining a new passport if yours is lost or stolen while traveling out of the country.

Article Written By Susan Berg

Based in northern Wisconsin, Susan Berg has more than 10 years of experience as a writer and editor. Her work has been published in both print and online media, including the "Dayton Daily News" and BioZine. Berg earned a Master of Arts in journalism from Indiana University.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.