How to Get a Passport Without an ID

How to Get a Passport Without an ID
If you are planning an outdoor adventure outside of the United States, you will need a current U.S. Passport to leave and re-enter the country. Generally, to apply for a Passport, you must provide evidence of U.S. citizenship and identification. Fortunately, even if you lack a traditional form of identification such as a driver's license or military I.D., you may still be able to obtain your Passport by offering alternative identifying documents and having a witness verify your identity.


Difficulty: Moderate

Prepare Your Passport Application Package

Things You’ll Need:
  • Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • Secondary evidence of identification
  • Witness to verify identity
  • Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness
  • Passport photos
Step 1
Fill out Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. This form can be obtained at the U.S. Department of State's website or your local Post Office. Do not sign the form until you are instructed to do so at a passport processing facility. As part of the application process, you are required to provide proof of United States citizenship and identification. Citizenship can be shown with a birth certificate, previously issued Passport, certificate of naturalization, or certificate of citizenship. You only need to provide one of these forms to prove citizenship.
Step 2
If you do not have a current primary identification such as a valid driver's license, military I.D., or previously issued passport, you may still be eligible to apply for your passport if you can provide multiple forms of what is called "secondary identification". Secondary identification consists of your social security card, credit cards, employee or student I.D. or library card. The more forms of secondary identification that you can provide, the greater the probability that your passport application will be successfully processed.
Step 3
You must also find a witness who is willing to vouch for your identity. This person can be a relative, friend or anyone else who has known you for at least two years and is currently a U.S. citizen Your witness will need to provide a valid I.D., such as a valid driver's license or government I.D., and fill out Form DS-71: Affidavit of Identifying Witness. This form can only be obtained and filled out at a Passport Agency or a post office that processes passport applications.
Step 4
To complete your application package, obtain two passport photos. These photos must be current identical color photos that are two-by-two inches in size. They may be obtained at your local post office for a fee.

Locate a Passport Processing Facility and Present Your Application in Person

Step 1
You must present your application in person at a Passport Agency or processing facility. You can locate a Passport Agency by visiting the Department of State's website or by inquiring at your local Post Office.
Step 2
Present your completed application package along with your secondary identification documents to a passport representative. Have your witness fill out and sign Form DS-71. Sign your application when directed. Pay the passport fee.
Step 3
It takes approximately four to six weeks to process passport applications. Once you receive your passport by mail, you may execute your plans to travel abroad.

Tips & Warnings

Sign your name on the inside cover of your passport booklet.
Apply for your passport well in advance of your anticipated travel date. Passport processing times during peak travel seasons can take up to six months.

Article Written By Krystal Wascher

Krystal Wascher has been writing online content since 2008. She received her Bachelor of Arts in political science and philosophy from Thiel College and a Juris Doctor from Duquesne University School of Law. She was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar in 2009.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.