How to Replace a Lost Passport in the USA

How to Replace a Lost Passport in the USA
If you take your passport with you on trip in the USA but lose it somewhere between the airport and your hotel, you should immediately report this to the State Department. A missing passport is a free ticket for thieves to hijack your identity. Here's how to go about getting a replacement passport.


Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You’ll Need:
  • Form DS-64 Form DS-11 Black-ink pen 2 identical color passport photographs Check or money order for applicable fees
  • Form DS-64
  • Form DS-11
  • Black-ink pen
  • 2 identical color passport photographs
  • Check or money order for applicable fees
Step 1
Fill out, sign and date form DS-64, Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport. Bring to an authorized passport facility, or mail to:
U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th St., NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
You can find regional passport offices at the State Department's website (see Resources). You can also call the State Department's passport office at (877) 487-2778.
Step 2
Do not attempt to use your passport after you reported it lost or stolen. Once your lost passport claim is filed in the government's system, your documents will be invalidated. You will be denied entry into a foreign country and face complications with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) upon re-entry into the USA if you attempt to do so with a passport that has been reported lost. If you recover your lost passport after you report it missing, your documents cannot be re-validated. You must follow through with the complete lost passport process.
Step 3
Fill out Form DS-11 when you are ready to apply for a new passport. You can find this document online or at your closest passport acceptance facility (see Resources). If you are reporting your lost passport in person, you can submit your application for a new passport at the same time. However, if you are mailing your DS-64 form, do not mail your DS-11 form in the same envelope.
Step 4
Bring two identical color passport photos and cash or money order for applicable fees when you apply for a new passport in person.

Tips & Warnings

You will be asked for specific information from your lost passport, including your unique passport number. It is a good idea to keep a photocopy of your passport in a safe place.
Rules and regulations for reporting a lost passport and applying for a new passport are subject to change without notice. Check the State Department's website for updated instructions.

Article Written By Shannon Marks

Shannon Marks started her journalism career in 1994. She was a reporter at the "Beachcomber" in Rehoboth Beach, Del., and contributed to "Philadelphia Weekly." Marks also served as a research editor, reporter and contributing writer at lifestyle, travel and entertainment magazines in New York City. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in literature from Temple University.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.