How to Replace a Lost Passport

How to Replace a Lost Passport
If you're an avid traveler, then a passport is one of the most important documents you can have in your possession, especially if you plan to travel soon. The best way to cover yourself in case of such an event is to make copies of your documents, both passport and visa, before traveling. While copies are not acceptable for travel, they help if you should ever need to report your passport as lost or stolen.


Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You’ll Need:
  • Copy of passport Government issued identification
  • Copy of passport
  • Government issued identification
Step 1
Report your loss to the local police. You will need to have documented proof of your loss in order to get a replacement.
Step 2
Download and fill out form DS-64 (see Resources). You will need your passport number and issuance date. If you are in a hurry, hand deliver the form to the nearest passport office. For "status," choose stolen or lost.
Step 3
Contact the National Passport Information Center at (800) 487-2778. You will be asked to provide the information indicated on form DS-64.
Step 4
Make a photocopy of your birth certificate or government issued photo ID.
Step 5
Take two 2-by-2-inch square passport photos. You can get these taken at the post office or local convenience store. The pictures should be identical. Take pictures that look like your government ID; that is, do not wear a wig or anything else that might change your appearance.
Step 6
Pay the fee. The fee can change from year to year so be sure to verify the amount before sending. You can pay the application fee with a credit card, debit card, money order or check. If you need a "rush," you can also pay an additional fee.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.