How to Renew a Non-US Citizen Passport

How to Renew a Non-US Citizen Passport
The process of renewing an American passport as a non-U.S. citizen is nearly identical to that used by citizens. The only difference is the documentation requirements. While most individuals must show proof of citizenship, there is a very select group of people for whom that is impossible. Even so, they are still eligible for an American passport. The time frame for a non-U.S. citizen applying for a passport is generally the same as it is for anyone else, though there are ways to speed up the process if needed.


Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You’ll Need:
  • Form DS-11 or DS-82 Old passport, if available Proof of nationality Identification Passport photos
  • Form DS-11 or DS-82
  • Old passport, if available
  • Proof of nationality
  • Identification
  • Passport photos
Step 1
Check to see if you are entitled to an American passport. In most cases, those who are nationals but not citizens can receive or renew a U.S. passport. However, this select group only applies to those who were born on, or have ties to, American Samoa and Swains Island. In general, if you have had an American passport in the past, you still should be eligible.
Step 2
Determine if you wish to renew in person or by mail. If applying in person, you need form DS-11. If applying by mail, form DS-82 is the one required. These forms are standard and must be filled out by anyone applying for a passport. They can be filled out online and printed or filled out by hand (see Resources below).
Step 3
Submit required documentation. In most cases, if you are renewing a passport, an old passport will work, even if you are a national of the United States. This solves the problem of finding the other documentation required. If not, then other proof of identification, as well as proof of being a national but not a citizen, will be required.
Step 4
Include two passport photos. These photos are generally available at many places that do photo processing, as well as many packaging stores. The two photos must meet the requirements of the U.S. Department of State and be identical copies of each other.
Step 5
Send the application and supporting documentation to the address listed on the form, if using form DS-82, or take it in person to a passport acceptance agency. Passport acceptance agencies may vary by state and location. The U.S. State Department does maintain an active list of such locations on its Web site.

Tips & Warnings

Expedited service incurs an additional fee, as much as $60.
Do not sign form DS-11 until you arrive at the passport acceptance agency and are instructed to do so by someone at that agency.

Article Written By Kenneth Black

Kenneth Black has been a freelance writer since 2008. He currently works as a staff writer for "The Times Republican" in Central Iowa. He has written extensively on a variety of topics, including business, politics, family life and travel. Black holds a bachelor's degree in business marketing from the University of Phoenix.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.