How to Replace My Lost Passport

How to Replace My Lost Passport
Whether you're at home or abroad, losing a passport is a significant problem that should be remedied immediately. Take the time to address the problem swiftly and you'll help to avoid any future complications.


Difficulty: Moderate

Lost in the United States

Things You’ll Need:
  • Two passport photos Identification Citizenship information Photocopy of ID
  • Two passport photos
  • Identification
  • Citizenship information
  • Photocopy of ID
Step 1
Report your passport missing. The most important action to take is to report the passport missing so that it is invalidated. You have three options: 1. Call the Department of State (877) 487-2778 (Mon. through Fri., 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET) to report it by phone. 2. Go in person to a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility and fill out Form DS-64. 3. Download Form DS-64, fill out and mail to:

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
Step 2
Go to a local Passport Agency to apply for a new passport. You can go to an Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. If you need the passport within two weeks for international travel or four weeks for a visa, make an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency. Otherwise, proceed to the local post office, library or other acceptance facility.
Step 3
Bring documentation of citizenship (certified birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship or previous, undamaged passport), valid ID (driver's license or government ID), plain white 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch photocopy of both sides of the ID you'll be using, two passport photos and fees.
Step 4
Fill out Form DS-11 using black ink. Take care to enter accurate information.
Step 5
Submit all paperwork to acceptance personnel and wait until instructed to sign Form DS-11. Your new passport to arrive via the mail. Also submit Form DS-64 if you haven't already reported your lost passport by phone or mail.
Step 6
Return your original passport. Should your passport turn up after you've reported it lost, it will already be invalid for travel. You should turn it in to the Department of State at the previously listed address. You can have it returned back to you or allow the Department to destroy it.

Lost While Abroad

Step 1
Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate immediately. Losing a passport at home is an inconvenience, but abroad it can be downright scary. Work with embassy staff toward getting a new passport and maintaining your travel dates. They can often do this within 24 hours, according to the Department of State's website. Speak to someone in the American Citizens Services unit.
Step 2
Answer all questions and present the information as requested. Staff will attempt to verify your identity and passport information, so answer fully and honestly.
Step 3
Provide a witness. Staff may ask you to provide a witness to sign an affidavit of your identity. Bring a witness with you, if available. If not, you may need to contact someone at home to speak with the office by phone or fax confirmation.
Step 4
State your travel plans. Make sure to mention when you plan to depart to ensure that you'll have your replacement in time.
Step 5
Pay applicable fees. If your money was stolen, you may be able to get a limited-use passport for free.

Tips & Warnings

Leave all of your identification and passport information in a folder with a trusted friend or family member when traveling out of the country in case you lose the passport.

Article Written By Joe Fletcher

Joe Fletcher has been a writer since 2002, starting his career in politics and legislation. He has written travel and outdoor recreation articles for a variety of print and online publications, including "Rocky Mountain Magazine" and "Bomb Snow." He received a Bachelor of Arts in political science from Rutgers College.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.