Originally settled by Potawatomi Native Americans, members of the Algonquin Native American tribe, the first Caucasian settlers arrived around 1830. The village of Tekonsha was established in 1832 and was named after the chief of the local Potawatomi tribe, Tekonquasha.
Just 45 minutes east of Battle Creek and 15 minutes from Marshall and Coldwater, the tri-lakes area of Tekonsha, Michigan features several types of fish and placid boating waters. Southeast Tekonsha attractions, besides the rustic lakeside scenery, include the St. Joseph River, home to the earliest indigenous settlers.
Three lakes lie to the east of Tekonsha: South Shed Lake; East Shed Lake; and West Shed Lake. According to Hook and Bullet, the South Shed Lake contains brown trout, sunfish and white bass. The East and West Shed Lakes contain bluegill, lake trout and smelt.
As preservation efforts continue on the St. Joseph River watershed, the potential for enhanced recreational opportunities will expand.
Tekonsha is centrally located and it may be wise to pack lightly and travel to other destinations that surround Tekonsha. Battle Creek is 45 minutes to the west and includes the Battle Creek Linear Park, a 10.4-mile paved road bike trail. Friendship Park is also located in Battle Creek's downtown area.