Information on U.S. Passports

Information on U.S. Passports
In our global village, foreign travel is common. Travelers abroad need a passport to prove who they are and to regulate their presence in a foreign country. You must be a U.S. citizen to obtain a passport from the U.S. State Department.


A valid passport is required to travel abroad and return to the United States. This requirement now applies to travel in the Western Hemisphere, including trips to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.


For first-time applicants or a minor child, you must complete an application (Form DS-11) and submit it in person--along with two photos, proof of citizenship and a fee--to a Passport Agency, such as the Post Office, City Clerk's Office or Federal Office. Once issued, you may renew a passport by mail.

Time Frame

A passport is valid for 10 years. For minors under 16 years old, the validity is five years. The application processing time for routine service is four to six weeks. For expedited service, allow two to three weeks.


As of 2009, first-time applicants pay $100. Renewals cost $75, and the cost for minors is $85. Expedited service is available for an extra charge.


Renew your passport six months prior to expiration to avoid problems obtaining foreign visas. Report lost or stolen passports to the nearest passport office or consulate abroad.

Expert Insight

Keep a photocopy at home in case of loss or theft. For frequent travelers, add more visa pages before running out of space.

Article Written By Donald J. Ford

Donald J. Ford, Ph.D., is a writer specializing in business, education and travel. He has published books and articles on these subjects. He is also the president of Training Education Management LLC, a management consulting business in Redondo Beach, Calif. He is an alumnus of University of California, Los Angeles.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.