Passport Information to Travel to Canada

Passport Information to Travel to Canada
With the ever-changing passport laws between the United States and Canada, it is essential to stay up to date on what is required to avoid any disruption in travel. These regulations are current as of September 2009.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

Created in 2004, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) was created as part of the Terrorism Prevention Act, requiring both Canada and the United States to show proper forms of identification when traveling between the two.

Air Travel

When traveling by air, a valid passport must be presented for children and adults of all ages.

Land and Sea Travel

When traveling by land or sea, travelers may present a passport, passport card or WHTI compliant travel document.

WHTI Compliant Documents

Trusted traveler's cards, enhanced driver's license, enhanced tribal cards, U.S. military identification, U.S. merchant mariner and Native American or American Indian cards are all valid WHTI documents and may be used between land and sea travel.


Children under the age of 16 traveling between the United States and Canada can submit a valid birth certificate when traveling by land or sea. When traveling by air, children of all ages are required to hold a valid passport.

Article Written By Bridget Everett

Bridget Everett is a professional Web copywriter. She specializes in several niches including travel, education, parenting, business, marketing, health, crafts, fashion and home decorating. Everett has studied marketing, elementary education and journalism at Northeastern University, Fordham University and Middle Tennessee State University.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.