Twelve mountains more than 12,000 feet high, highlighted by the 13,770-foot Grand Teton Mountain, exist in the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. This park's history extends from the first exploration by white men in the early 1800s to the present.
John Colter is the first white man believed to have explored the Teton Mountain Range--around 1808. Mountain men and trappers quickly found the region rich in wildlife, with beaver the main attraction.
Part of the area acquired the name Jackson's Hole from a fur trapper named David Jackson, who in 1829 wintered there in the high altitudes surrounded by peaks.
The fur trade began to lose steam by the 1830s. The area was popular with hunters and anglers in the 1880s and the Forest Service Act of 1891 led to the Teton Forest Reserve in 1897.
In 1929, the United States Congress set aside 96,000 acres of the region as the Grand Teton National Park. President Franklin Roosevelt in 1943 cited the Antiquities Act of 1906 to add 210,000 acres into public trust.
All of this acreage combined with 33,000 acres of donated land formed the Grand Teton National Park in 1950 by an act of Congress.