Passport Information for Children Traveling to Mexico

Passport Information for Children Traveling to Mexico
Because the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative was fully implemented in June 2009, it is now required for all citizens of the United States, Canada and Bermuda to have a passport to travel to and from Mexico, even if traveling by car. Children are no exception to this initiative. So if you're an outdoor enthusiast wanting to take your children on an outdoor adventure vacation, here is what you need to know to get a passport for a minor.


Minors and both of their parents or guardians must apply in person at a passport agency or passport acceptance facility, normally a post office. A completed application form, DS-11 must be submitted. This form can be downloaded from the U.S. Department of State website (see Resources).

Proof of Citizenship

A certified birth certificate or other document establishing U.S. citizenship must be presented at the time of application. These forms will be attached to the application and will be returned after receiving the passport.

Photo Identification

Parents or guardians must submit a photo ID, such as a driver's license or other state- or government-issued photo ID. A photocopy of the front and back of the ID also must be presented on one side of an 8½-by-11-inch paper. The passport facility will not make copies.

Parental Consent

If one parent cannot be present, a notarized letter of parental consent must be submitted with the application. At least one parent must sign the application form at the passport facility.

Passport Photographs

Two identical, color 2-by-2-inch passport photos of the child must be presented. For newborns and infants, no supportive device of any kind is permitted in the photo. Normal street attire must be worn in the photo.


As of September 2009, a child passport costs $60 plus and additional $25 application fee. Payment is made payable to the U.S. Department of State and a separate check made payable to the passport facility, normally the U.S. Postal Service.

Article Written By Kathy Kindred

Kathy Kindred began her professional editing and design career in 1993 at the "University Daily Kansan." Other publications for which she has worked include "The Independence Examiner" and the "Kansas City Star" daily newspapers. In 2006, Kindred began writing for, an online music magazine, which she also co-owns. Kindred has a Bachelor of Science degree in journalism from the University of Kansas.

Never Miss a Single Post

All our latest outdoor content delivered to your inbox once a week.



We promise to keep your email address safe and secure.