About Passport Renewal

About Passport Renewal
For outdoor enthusiasts who travel internationally and hold an expired passport, there is an easy way to renew a passport without having to go through the process of getting a new one. The process is simple and can be done by mail.

Current Passports

Current passports must be undamaged, issued within the last 15 years, issued after the age of 16 and must display your current name or have a legal document of name change.

Applying in Person

If the passport is damaged, issued more than 15 years ago or does not show your current name, you must apply in person at a passport agency or passport acceptance facility.

By Mail

An application form DS-82 must be completed and submitted along with your current passport and two identical, color 2-by-2-inch passport photos. Mail all documents to the National Passport Processing Center, P.O. Box 90155, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155.

From Outside the United States

Passport holders living abroad, except in Canada, should apply in person at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. Those in Canada may apply by mail the same as U.S. residents.

Processing and Cost

Processing times vary but average four to six weeks. Adult passport renewals cost $75, as of October 2009. All minor applicants must apply in person.

Article Written By Kathy Kindred

Kathy Kindred began her professional editing and design career in 1993 at the "University Daily Kansan." Other publications for which she has worked include "The Independence Examiner" and the "Kansas City Star" daily newspapers. In 2006, Kindred began writing for Hardrockhaven.net, an online music magazine, which she also co-owns. Kindred has a Bachelor of Science degree in journalism from the University of Kansas.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from Trails.com to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.