Where to Get a USA Passport

Where to Get a USA Passport
There are several places to get a USA passport. Passports can be obtained at regional passport agencies, acceptance facilities or by mail. Where you apply for a passport depends on the situation or reason for getting a passport.

Regional Passport Agencies

There are about 18 regional passport agencies scattered throughout the country. Appointments are often needed at passport agencies.

When to Use a Passport Agency

Passport agencies are typically used when applicants need a passport within two weeks for international travel. Another reason is when a passport is needed within four weeks in order for a traveler to acquire a visa for foreign country.

Acceptance Facilities

Passport acceptance facilities are located all over the USA. Acceptance facilities are often located at post offices, libraries, city halls, county clerks' offices and other areas (see Resources).

When to Use an Acceptance Facility

A passport acceptance facility must be used to apply for a first-time passport or to apply for a passport that has been lost or stolen. Other reasons for using an acceptance facility include applications for those under 16 and name changes on passports.

Apply by Mail

Passports can be renewed by mail if you are able to submit your current passport with the application. You can print the renewal form (Form DS-82) from the U.S. State Department's website, and mail in the form, photos, fees and the current passport.

Article Written By Erica Sweeney

Erica Sweeney is a freelance writer and editor based in Little Rock, Ark. She has a master's in journalism from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Her work has been published at SaidIt.org, Arkansas Times, Aging Arkansas and Arkansas Business.

Keep Me Informed

Weekly newsletters, announcements and offers from Trails.com to your inbox.

Sign me up!

We HATE spam and promise to keep your email addresses safe and secure.