The Alamo is, without question, one of Texas' greatest, most cherished and well-known monuments. The site attracts millions of visitors and historians from all over the world every year. Today, the Alamo exists as a museum and is the pride of San Antonio and the state of Texas.
Spaniards built the Alamo in 1744, and the original construction consisted of a sanctuary and surrounding structures. It was used to educate Native Americans about Christianity after they had converted. Its original name was the Mission at San de Valero.
The mission was abandoned in 1793, and 10 years later it became a fortress for the Mexican Army. In 1835, the Alamo was surrendered to Texas forces during the Texas Revolution and many improvements were made to the site.
Before the Battle of the Alamo
Before the Battle of the Alamo, the Texans believed the war with Mexico to be over. Many of the troops left and only a skeleton crew remained at the Alamo. They asked for backup but the Texas government did not have the means or the money. Remaining soldiers attempted to guard themselves and the structure with cannons.
Battle of the Alamo
The Battle of the Alamo lasted for 13 days. On March 6, 1836, every Texan in the Alamo was killed in a bloody siege, and their bodies were thrown into a pile and then burned.
The Mexicans left the Alamo after they were defeated in the Battle of San Jacinto. The Republic of Texas returned the Alamo to the Catholic Church in 1841. In 1893, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas became the permanent custodians, and began to repair and restore the structure.