Documents Needed to Go Between Canada & US by Car

Documents Needed to Go Between Canada & US by Car
Traveling between the United States and Canada by car is a common practice. Changes in passport laws have implemented tougher requirements to allow admittance to each country. The following documents are required for car travel between the United States and Canada.

U.S. Citizens

A valid U.S. passport or passport card is required for entry into Canada and re-entry to the United States. Enhanced driver's licenses can be shown by Michigan, New York, Washington and Vermont residents.

Green Cards

Lawful permanent residents of the United States must present their I-551 Green Cards to enter Canada and re-enter the United States.

U.S. Children

Children who are U.S. citizens can present a passport, passport card, a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth abroad, or certificate of naturalization.

Canadian Citizens

A valid Canadian passport is required for entry into the United States and re-entry into Canada. Residents of British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec can present their enhanced driver's licenses.

Canadian Children

Children 15 years or younger can present a passport, Canadian birth certificate or certificate of Canadian citizenship.


NEXUS cards allow pre-approved low-risk travelers to travel between the United States and Canada. NEXUS cards are available to citizens of both countries.

Article Written By Baldwin Ellis

Based in Atlanta, Baldwin Ellis has been a writer since 2007. He covers fitness, mental health and travel, with work appearing in print and online publications such as Scazu Fitness and USA Today Travel Tips. Ellis holds a Master of Arts in community psychology.

Don't Miss a Thing!

All our latest outdoor content delivered to your inbox once a week.



We promise to keep your email address safe and secure.