Malmo, Sweden was once connected to Copenhagen, Denmark by a land bridge. Although buildings dating to the 16th century line its streets, today the city is one of the most thriving metropolitan areas in the country.
Remains from an 11,000-year-old stone age settlement were discovered in Malmo. This settlement was a group of nomadic hunters that traveled between Sweden and Denmark.
Malmo was a popular area for Vikings because of its location on the water. Vikings traveled to and from England, Iceland and the Middle East as merchants and warriors, but many called Malmo home.
The Malmo Castle is one of the most popular buildings because of its history--it was rebuilt in the 16th century. After fighting between Sweden and Denmark ended, military roles became less important over the years and the castle was turned into a museum in 1937.
Gamla Staden is the oldest part of Malmo. The market square and other buildings can be traced to the 17th century, when the Danes controlled the area. The St. Petri Church is one of the most famous buildings, and was originally built in the early 16th century.
Many centuries ago, Copenhagen and Malmo were connected by a land bridge, so in 2000 a bridge was built connecting the two again. The Oresund Bridge is the largest double decker bridge in Europe, where cars drive on top and rail crosses the bottom.