Ghost Beach Professional Guide
Detailed Trail Description from our Guidebook
"The Inverness and Richmond Railway Company was incorporated in 1887 to construct a railway from the district of Margaree to Mabou, Port Hood, and Port Hawkesbury, with a branch to Whycocomagh. In the end, they developed a route from Port Hastings to Inverness, the first train running in 1901. Following financial problems, the line was leased to Canadian National from 1924 until they purchased it in 1929. CN operated the line until the late 1980s, when its biggest customer, the Evans Coal Mine in Inverness, was shut down due to flooding."